A cradle is likely to be the very first bed for your baby. While it is perfectly acceptable and safe to introduce your baby to a full-sized crib from the onset, traditionally parents use a cradle for the first few weeks or months of a baby’s life.
Tips for selecting a product:
- Look for one with a sturdy bottom and a wide, stable base
- Cradle pad should fit snugly and be firm and smooth
- Swinging cradles should have a way to keep them from swinging once a baby is asleep
Tips for use:
- Follow the manufacturer’s guidelines on the appropriate weight and size of babies who can safely use the cradle or bassinet.
- Check screws and bolts regularly to ensure they are tight.
- If the product has legs that fold for storage, make sure that effective locks are provided to ensure that the legs do not accidentally fold while in use.
- Only use the pad provided by the manufacturer. Never use pillows or add extra padding.
- Decorative bows and ribbons should be trimmed short and stitched securely to prevent strangulation.